Doug Ford will Cut Gas Taxes by Ten Cents Per LitrePublished on May 16, 2018
An Ontario PC Government will cut the price of gas by ten cents per litre. These savings will be achieved by eliminating the Liberal/NDP cap-and-trade scheme, reducing Ontario’s provincial fuel tax, and stopping the Liberal/NDP carbon tax.
“These are real savings that will lower the cost of filling-up your car and leave more money in your pocket, while at the same time supporting families and businesses by keeping the costs of goods and services low,” said Ford. “Ours is the only Party that understands that gas is an absolute necessity that not only gets people around, but also fuels our economy.”
High gas prices have been shown to have negative impacts on the economy, increasing the cost of transporting everyday items such as food products families buy at the grocery store, as well as increasing costs on other goods and services. Lower income individuals and families tend to be negatively affected the most by rising gas prices as they have less money to spend on other necessities, and often go further into debt as a result.
Ford highlighted how Kathleen Wynne’s cap-and-trade scheme, supported by Andrea Horwath’s NDP, is already adding 4.3 cents per litre at the pump. He also highlighted that the cap-and-trade price-tag is projected to grow by an additional 428 per cent which, on its own, will add 23 cents per litre to the price Ontario drivers pay for gas.
“For an average driver, that’s an additional $500 a year for gas alone — just to pay for Wynne’s cap-and-trade scheme,” said Ford. “If you need to drive a car to get to work, to school, or to pick up your kids from daycare, the Liberals and the NDP will have their hands in your pocket every time you fill up your car.”
Ford highlighted that the Liberals and NDP are following the example of British Columbia, which was the first jurisdiction in Canada to impose a carbon tax, and where gas prices have already soared to $1.61 per litre – the highest price ever paid by drivers anywhere in North America.
“Make no mistake, one of the biggest things the Liberals and NDP agree on is imposing new tax-grabbing schemes on Ontario families and businesses,” said Ford. “The Ontario PC Party is the only Party who can stop the Liberals and NDPs plans to soar gas prices to $2.00 per litre,” concluded Ford.
How We Will Fix It:
- A Doug Ford Ontario PC Government will scrap the cap-and-trade carbon tax and cancel Kathleen Wynne’s cap-and-trade slush fund.
- The Ontario PCs will challenge, in the Supreme Court of Canada, any attempt by the federal government to impose a carbon tax on Ontario families.
- Canceling cap and trade means families will save, on average, $285 immediately. This means taxpayers will save an extra 4.3 cents per litre at the pump.
- Understanding that people need relief from high gas prices, the Ontario PCs will also reduce the provincial fuel tax for both gasoline and diesel to 9 cents per litre from the current 14.7 cents per litre for gasoline, and 14.3 cents per litre for diesel.
- When the savings from the reduced provincial fuel tax are combined with the savings from scrapping cap and trade carbon tax, the people of Ontario will save an extra 10 cents per litre at the pump.
- The current exemption for colour fuel will be maintained.
- A Doug Ford Ontario PC Government will continue to share gas tax revenue with municipalities. They will not receive a corresponding decrease in their transfer payments as a result of this reduction.
- This policy will cost the government approximately $1.19 billion annually once fully implemented.
- Doug Ford is the only Leader who will respect the taxpayer, put more money in your pocket, and truly be for the people.